When you are trying to sell your home, there are five steps you should always avoid to make sure a quick and easy sale. Avoiding these mistakes will help in any type of market, especially when the market is slow.
1. Do not over price your home. This is very important when the market is down. While you know that you have made extensive renovations on the home that have cost you a bundle, you cannot add these costs to the overall home price. Prices must be in line with other homes in the area or buyers will simply drive by. A survey of comparative home prices in your area should be conducted before pricing your home.
2. Do not have clutter or personal items in view when showing the home. A potential buyer wants to envision themselves in the home. If you have your personal bills and family photos lying around this is going to make the home seem too much “yours” and not enough “theirs.” While this may seem silly, it has been proven that buyers respond better to a sterile or generic setting more than a lived-in setting when buying a home. Make sure the home is very clean, especially the kitchens and bathrooms. Make it a habit that once you clean these two areas to step back and clean them again. These areas are inspected very closely by potential buyers.
3. Do not let your landscaping or property look shabby. Curb appeal says a lot about the house. While it is your intention to move out as quickly as possible, you must make the first impression of your home count. Make sure hedges are trimmed, weeds are pulled and the walkway is swept. Do not, however, make too many improvements to the outside because the buyer will want to customize the landscaping to their own preference.
4. Do not fail to advertise and over-promote your open house events. There is a lot of competition in the market right now. Driving buyers to your home for a view is crucial. Make your open house event one to remember, and you will boost your chances of a quick sale.
5. Do not forget to hire a real estate agent. Many people have tried to opt for the DIY method of selling their home only to sit on the property for a long time. A good realtor will help you price your home in a manner that will sell, as well as help you promote the property